Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Tree Skirt

So I got this idea from Pinterest and anwjohnston.blogspot.com.  She did hers with linen and burlap while pretty wasn't really the style I wanted to I went with something more festive. 
First here is what you will need:
2 kinds of material or one whichever you chose but it needs to total 4 yds
Scissors
Your old tree skirt or I bought this one at Walmart for $4
Hot glue gun
Patience!

First start by cutting your fabric into 3 inch strips, you can use a fancy roll cutter and board but I just marked my fabric with a marker and cut it with scissors.  The length of the fabric doesn't matter but I would advise to cut them as long as you can.

Start with your first piece of fabric  about an inch up from the bottom of the skirt, hot glue  it so it is even with the opening of the skirt.  Fold the piece back to make a ruffle and then continue gluing and ruffling.  The Ruffles don't need to be the same size just close to it.

Alternate with your different fabric just barely covering the top of each layer so you don't see any cutting marks.


This is what mine looked like when I was done.  You can use small ribbon to tie the opening together.    This project cost me around $20.  I bought the fabric from Hobby Lobby when it was half off.  Most tree skirts I have seen this year are around $40-$50 which is crazy!  It's covered with presents most of the time!  Why not do something that you really love for less money!  This took me around 3 hours to complete.

Finished product under our new tree!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment